How to Optimize Your Body (Task of Malkuth)

What do you want to talk about?

Moderator: Moderators - Public

How to Optimize Your Body (Task of Malkuth)

Postby LD330 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:14 am

"He shall in every way fortify his body according to the advice of his Zelator, for that the ordeal of advancement is no light one." - Liber 185, Task of the Neophyte

The following info is based on what I've been reading and implementing in my life for the past six months or so. I wish I had this information a few years ago, and I think it would be especially helpful for anyone going through a spiritual crisis or looking to make a change in their life.

1. Eat Right (Essential Micronutrients)

Get an account on a food tracking website like https://cronometer.com/ (free). Enter in everything you eat in a day and check what micronutrients you are deficient in. Look to address these either through food or vitamin supplementation.

2. Supplement Anyway

Unless you eat fish all the time you're going to need an omega-3 supplement, and unless you live near the equator and work outside all day naked you're going to need a Vitamin D supplement. You're going to want your omega-3 : omega-6 ratio (which you can find on a food tracking website after you enter what you eat) to be from 1:4 to 1:1. This alone will cause a noticeable difference if you do not get enough omega-3's. You will be able to focus and have less anxiety.

Be careful about vegetarian sources of omega-3's. Your brain needs DHA, only found in fish.

Vitamin D is more subtle and will take some time to build up in your body. Cron-O-Meter probably won't give you an accurate recommendation on Vitamin D. I take a 5000 IU supplement daily and it keeps me (a 170 lb male) at ~66 nM/mL Vitamin D on a blood test. Ideal levels are above 50 and below 100. Over 100 nM/mL in the blood is an OD, which could be bad, because as a fat-soluble vitamin, it will take a while to leave your body. The benefits of Vitamin D are numerous and you can check out some of them here: http://vitamind3-cholecalciferol.com/vi ... -benefits/

Interestingly optimal Vitamin D levels correspond to longer telomere length in the chromosomes, meaning optimal Vitamin D levels will make you biologically younger.

Additional common deficiencies are zinc, which is important especially for males, and choline, which is important for memory. Some people have trouble getting enough magnesium, which keeps you relaxed.

3. Exercise

This is obvious enough, but if you don't exercise, it's an easy way to improve your life. It will decrease anxiety, ward off depression, improve your memory, improve your looks and keep you sharper. The more involved the form of exercise is, the better. So playing basketball is better than running outside which is better than running on a treadmill.

Cardio and weight lifting are both good forms of exercise but have different benefits. Most studies done on the benefits of exercise are referring to cardiovascular exercise, but you won't get muscular just by running.

Exercise in general has been said to be better than antidepressant drugs in treating depression (http://www.webmd.com/depression/news/20 ... gs-therapy).

4. Optimize Your Hormones

I have no idea how a female would do this, but for males, the formula is relatively simple. To boost testosterone levels lift weights, eat more fats (monounsaturated/saturated preferred), get enough sleep, and make sure you are getting your essential micronutrients (Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, zinc and selenium are particularly important).

In the Four Hour Body Tim Ferriss recommends this cocktail to increase testosterone levels: Cod Liver Oil, High-Vitamin Butter Oil (or a Vitamin K2 supplement), Vitamin D, Brazil nuts and cold showers. The massive amount of selenium in the Brazil nuts has the most noticeable effect.

Testosterone has a bad reputation that in my opinion is undeserved. When most people try to think about their testosterone levels they are more likely thinking about their dopamine levels. Testosterone is something that goes on more in the background than something conscious. Higher testosterone levels will make you noticeably calmer, able to think more clearly, and increase your energy levels and drive. You'll also be able to build more muscle without doing anything else.

5. Recommended Reading

-The Four Hour Body by Tim Ferriss
-"Eat Like A Predator, Not Like Prey": Paleo in Six Steps (http://www.gnolls.org/1141/eat-like-a-p ... nal-guide/)

If anyone has additional tips please share. I'd be especially curious what the A.'.A.'. recommends for this part of Liber 185.
LD330
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: How to Optimize Your Body (Task of Malkuth)

Postby gerry456 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:41 am

I hate dogmatic diet regimes.

You eat in a balanced fashion. Pure and simple.
2.19 They shall rejoice, our chosen: who sorroweth is not of us.

2.21 We have nothing with the outcast and the unfit: let them die in their misery. For they feel not. Compassion is the vice of kings: stamp down the wretched & the weak: this is the law of the strong: this is our law and the joy of the world.
gerry456
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire

Postby LD330 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:48 pm

Hi Gerry, thanks for the reply,

gerry456 wrote:I hate dogmatic diet regimes.

Have you tried any variety of a stricter diet for comparison? Paleo/Keto/Vegan/Whatever?

It's an interesting experience to restrict yourself in that way.

gerry456 wrote:You eat in a balanced fashion. Pure and simple.

How do you define balanced fashion?

I think the body has a dogma of its own. If your object is to make the body function in a healthy, optimized manner, you don't get to argue with it about providing essential nutrients. It needs what it needs. Of course there are lots of ways to get those nutrients.

There's also a lot of ways to not get those nutrients, and I don't think a lot of people go around tracking their daily intake of zinc or potassium. And so again, on the condition that you're trying to keep your body in peak performance, you're going to want to provide it with what it needs. Hence the recommendation of food tracking websites, to see what nutrients you are and aren't getting.
LD330
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Jim Eshelman » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:20 am

Please note that the "Task of Malkuth" (by which I assume you mean "the task of a neophyte in A.'.A.'.") is not "to optimize your body" (though there's nothing wrong with that) but "to fortify your body."

And, while I think that's the most important part of the instruction, it's not the only part. One is specifically to do this "according to the advice of his Zelator." One of the most important reasons for this is that each person, on getting to this point, needs different counsel, and in fact will get different advice from different possible teachers. If there were generic advice, Crowley could have written a paper, probably called it Liber Guph, and given advice that we could all now debate about how outdated it was :twisted: But he didn't. Everybody (and every body) needs different things, and needs it differently when they hit this exact junction. (There are also secondary advantages, especially fortifying the relationship of the Neophyte and his or her Zelator, a reliance that arguably is more important at this junction that at any later one).
Love is the law, love under will.
Yours in L.V.X.,
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com
"Success is thy proof: argue not; convert not; talk not overmuch!" - CCXX 3:42
Jim Eshelman
Lost His Marbles

Postby FiatYod » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:58 am

Jim Eshelman wrote:Please note that the "Task of Malkuth" (by which I assume you mean "the task of a neophyte in A.'.A.'.") is not "to optimize your body" (though there's nothing wrong with that) but "to fortify your body."

And, while I think that's the most important part of the instruction, it's not the only part. One is specifically to do this "according to the advice of his Zelator." One of the most important reasons for this is that each person, on getting to this point, needs different counsel, and in fact will get different advice from different possible teachers. If there were generic advice, Crowley could have written a paper, probably called it Liber Guph, and given advice that we could all now debate about how outdated it was :twisted: But he didn't. Everybody (and every body) needs different things, and needs it differently when they hit this exact junction. (There are also secondary advantages, especially fortifying the relationship of the Neophyte and his or her Zelator, a reliance that arguably is more important at this junction that at any later one).

How does one's Zelator know what one's body needs? Is it not a task for ourselves, done by trial and error?
FiatYod
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Jim Eshelman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:27 am

FiatYod wrote:
Jim Eshelman wrote:Please note that the "Task of Malkuth" (by which I assume you mean "the task of a neophyte in A.'.A.'.") is not "to optimize your body" (though there's nothing wrong with that) but "to fortify your body."

How does one's Zelator know what one's body needs? Is it not a task for ourselves, done by trial and error?

Of course you need to experiment on your own. But one's Superior, from personal experience and what was handed down to them, can witness you and how the Work is impacting you. Bu you're not get a prescription from the Zelator; rather, it's mentorship, someone who knows the road and knows the ropes (and, more importantly, knows you extremely well) helping guide someone who is travelling the road.

Remember, the purpose of this isn't necessarily to have a healthy body. A.'.A.'. doesn't give a damn about your physical health except to the extent that it impacts your ability to persist in the Work. This part of the Task comes at a phase when very heavy tolls are taken on the physical body - harder (on average, since people differ) than at any later stage in the road to adepthood. It also prepares a solid foundation for the different dimension of the Work that begins in the next grade.
Yours in L.V.X.,
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com
Jim Eshelman
Lost His Marbles

Postby Faust » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:09 pm

This part of the Task comes at a phase when very heavy tolls are taken on the physical body - harder (on average, since people differ) than at any later stage in the road to adepthood. It also prepares a solid foundation for the different dimension of the Work that begins in the next grade.

I imagined that the Zelator was the hardest grade gor the body. I do not see how ritual and astral can be heavy tolls.
Faust
Stone of Precious Water
Stone of Precious Water

Postby Jim Eshelman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:35 pm

Faust wrote:
This part of the Task comes at a phase when very heavy tolls are taken on the physical body - harder (on average, since people differ) than at any later stage in the road to adepthood. It also prepares a solid foundation for the different dimension of the Work that begins in the next grade.

I imagined that the Zelator was the hardest grade gor the body. I do not see how ritual and astral can be heavy tolls.

The impact on the nervous system (for one thing) is enormous. The physical stamina required for some of the astral work is also potentially great (the very act of holding relatively unwavering concentration away from your physical senses for an hour or more is particularly strenuous). You are exposing your body to conditions where it (wrongly) believes it could be dying. - Those are just three things that hit me off the top of my head.
Yours in L.V.X.,
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com
Jim Eshelman
Lost His Marbles

Return to General Discussion