Interpretation of planetary intelligences/spirits

Q&A and discussion on ceremonial magick

Moderator: Moderators - Public

Interpretation of planetary intelligences/spirits

Postby FiatYod » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:18 am

I like how Mathers' introduction to the Goetia includes a "practical" explanation of some magical phenomena, for example: to "obtain information" means that it "Brings up facts from sub-consciousness", to "obtain treasure" means that "Business capacity may be stimulated", etc.
So I was wondering: can you explain the subject of planetary intelligences/spirits in a similar manner? That is, given that Tiriel is the intelligence of Mercury and Taphthartharath is the spirit of Mercury, what does it mean?

Thanks!
User avatar
FiatYod
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:03 am

Re: Interpretation of planetary intelligences/spirits

Postby Frater AOV » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:02 pm

93

i might be wrong but i'm pretty sure spirits, intelligences, etc. are hierarchical terms for a given force in the Four Worlds. Spirits being of Assiah, Angels in Yetzirah, Archangels in Briah and Intelligences in Atziluth.

hope this helps?
93 93/93
Frater AOV
Copper Member
Copper Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:16 am

Re: Interpretation of planetary intelligences/spirits

Postby seekinghga » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:59 am

FiatYod wrote:I like how Mathers' introduction to the Goetia includes a "practical" explanation of some magical phenomena, for example: to "obtain information" means that it "Brings up facts from sub-consciousness", to "obtain treasure" means that "Business capacity may be stimulated", etc.

I believe that you are referring to The Initiated Interpretation of Ceremonial Magic that was written by Crowley (ca. 1902-3) and added as an introduction to Mathers' rendering of the text.

So I was wondering: can you explain the subject of planetary intelligences/spirits in a similar manner? That is, given that Tiriel is the intelligence of Mercury and Taphthartharath is the spirit of Mercury, what does it mean?

Again from Crowley, this time from his "Confessions":
“It is in fact very hard to explain what we mean by saying that we invoke Paimon; but, to go a little deeper, the same remark applies to Mr. Smith next door. We do not know who Mr. Smith is, or what is his place in nature, or how to account for him. We cannot even be sure that he exists. Yet, in practice, we call Smith by that name and he comes. By the proper means we can induce him to do for us those things which are consonant with his nature and powers. The whole question is, therefore, one of practice; and by this standard we find that there is no particular reason for quarrelling with the conventional nomenclature.”
"And they that read the book and debated thereon passed into the desolate land of Barren Words. And they that sealed up the book into their blood were the chosen of Adonai, and the Thought of Adonai was a Word and a Deed; and they abode in the Land that the far-off travellers call Naught."
- LXV 5:59
seekinghga
Stone of Precious Water
Stone of Precious Water
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:30 pm
Location: York, PA

Re: Interpretation of planetary intelligences/spirits

Postby FiatYod » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:40 am

Frater AOV wrote:93

i might be wrong but i'm pretty sure spirits, intelligences, etc. are hierarchical terms for a given force in the Four Worlds. Spirits being of Assiah, Angels in Yetzirah, Archangels in Briah and Intelligences in Atziluth.

hope this helps?


That's interesting, thank you!
I don't seem to find any reference to this correspondence in Liber 777; where did you learn it from? And if that is correct, following the example in my original post, what are names of the angel & archangel of Mercury (or any other planet, for that matter)?

seekinghga wrote:
FiatYod wrote:I like how Mathers' introduction to the Goetia includes a "practical" explanation of some magical phenomena, for example: to "obtain information" means that it "Brings up facts from sub-consciousness", to "obtain treasure" means that "Business capacity may be stimulated", etc.

I believe that you are referring to The Initiated Interpretation of Ceremonial Magic that was written by Crowley (ca. 1902-3) and added as an introduction to Mathers' rendering of the text.

So I was wondering: can you explain the subject of planetary intelligences/spirits in a similar manner? That is, given that Tiriel is the intelligence of Mercury and Taphthartharath is the spirit of Mercury, what does it mean?

Again from Crowley, this time from his "Confessions":
“It is in fact very hard to explain what we mean by saying that we invoke Paimon; but, to go a little deeper, the same remark applies to Mr. Smith next door. We do not know who Mr. Smith is, or what is his place in nature, or how to account for him. We cannot even be sure that he exists. Yet, in practice, we call Smith by that name and he comes. By the proper means we can induce him to do for us those things which are consonant with his nature and powers. The whole question is, therefore, one of practice; and by this standard we find that there is no particular reason for quarrelling with the conventional nomenclature.”


Oh, I didn't know it was Crowley's comment, thank you for the correction! :)
I'm not sure I got your point: do you mean that the words "spirit" and "intelligence" are to be taken as their "mundane" meanings?

Thank you!
User avatar
FiatYod
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:03 am

Re: Interpretation of planetary intelligences/spirits

Postby seekinghga » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:50 am

FiatYod wrote:Oh, I didn't know it was Crowley's comment, thank you for the correction! :)
I'm not sure I got your point: do you mean that the words "spirit" and "intelligence" are to be taken as their "mundane" meanings?

What we call them is nowhere near as important as what they can do. ;) Solvitur ambulando.
"And they that read the book and debated thereon passed into the desolate land of Barren Words. And they that sealed up the book into their blood were the chosen of Adonai, and the Thought of Adonai was a Word and a Deed; and they abode in the Land that the far-off travellers call Naught."
- LXV 5:59
seekinghga
Stone of Precious Water
Stone of Precious Water
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:30 pm
Location: York, PA


Return to Magick

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests