Tmu

Q&A and discussion on ceremonial magick

Moderator: Moderators - Public

Tmu

Postby zeph » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:42 pm

Who is Tmu, as mentioned in Liber Israfel, v9? I mean, besides "Lord of the City of the Sun" as that verse describes.

Thanks!
zeph

Postby Jim Eshelman » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:45 pm

Tmu = Tem = Tum
Love is the law, love under will.
Yours in L.V.X.,
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com
"Success is thy proof: argue not; convert not; talk not overmuch!" - CCXX 3:42
Jim Eshelman
Lost His Marbles

Postby Steven Cranmer » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:06 am

Jim Eshelman wrote:Tmu = Tem = Tum

Also I've seen "Atum" and sometimes even "Atom" (but not Aton, which is the depersonalized sun-disk).

This is the only one of the four solar God-names in Liber Resh that "makes sense" to me - i.e., jives with what I knew about Egyptology before learning about Thelema. Atum/Tum is specifically the setting sun.

Does anyone know what source Crowley used to assign Khephra to "midnight" and Ra to "rising?" (In Budge and many others, Khephra is the rising/dawn aspect, and Ra seems to be the noontime "max power" aspect.)

Of course, as we all know, Thelema isn't just a re-imagined neo-Egyptian religion. Hadit ain't Heru-Behedet! :)

Steve
Steven Cranmer
Stone of Precious Water
Stone of Precious Water

Postby redd fezz » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:39 am

Supposedly, Budge isn't all that accurate, either, I guess. I wonder how different Crowley's ideas are from the Ancient Egyptians. I also wonder if it really matters at all.
redd fezz
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire

Postby Jim Eshelman » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:20 pm

Steven Cranmer wrote:Does anyone know what source Crowley used to assign Khephra to "midnight" and Ra to "rising?" (In Budge and many others, Khephra is the rising/dawn aspect, and Ra seems to be the noontime "max power" aspect.)

Khephra has a very ancient association with the whole of the night and especially midnight - the scarabs in tombs are due to its role in bearing the Sun or soul through the night to a new dawn.
Love is the law, love under will.
Yours in L.V.X.,
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com
"Success is thy proof: argue not; convert not; talk not overmuch!" - CCXX 3:42
Jim Eshelman
Lost His Marbles

Postby jmiller » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:33 pm

Steven Cranmer wrote:Does anyone know what source Crowley used to assign Khephra to "midnight" and Ra to "rising?" (In Budge and many others, Khephra is the rising/dawn aspect, and Ra seems to be the noontime "max power" aspect.)

When working through Budge and a few others to understand the different gods, I found that the attributions of all of them seemed to change, depending on the time period or place, or that other gods appeared in the various prayers to represent the different phases of the Sun's travels. Like you suggested, however, Tum seemed to have the most consistent position, though I think I recall at least one reference to him at midnight. So I quit looking for THE authentic Egyptian attribution.

I need to go back and reread this, but I found it useful at the time I began to study Liber Resh:
http://www.goldenlotus-oto.org/whoAndWhat.htm
jmiller
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Steven Cranmer » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:18 pm

sasha wrote:I need to go back and reread this, but I found it useful at the time I began to study Liber Resh:
http://www.goldenlotus-oto.org/whoAndWhat.htm

Nice article; answers many of my questions.

I'm really going to have to start doing Resh regularly... :oops:

Steve
Steven Cranmer
Stone of Precious Water
Stone of Precious Water

Return to Magick