Lovers Card

Q&A and discussion on the Hermetic Qabbalah

Moderator: Moderators - Public

Lovers Card

Postby Metzareph » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:12 pm

Working with the tarot cards I noticed something that started me in a train of thought. In the old lovers card (Rider-Waite deck), the man is looking at the woman, which is looking at the angel. The intention (as I understand it) is that the man represents consciousness. He cannot look directly into the super-consciousness (angel) without the unconscious (woman). That's sort of an old story, but the thing I found interesting is the way Crowley recreated the card. In the Book of Thoth, he mentions that this card is the "solve" and that "Art" or the old "Temperance" is actually part of the same equation. Coagula et Solve.
Also, he mentions that the figure performing the alchemical marriage in the Thoth deck is actually the Hermit.
Two things I find interesting here.
One, the rearrangement of the card in which the woman and the man share the same position. Being Gemini, they are 2 sides of the same coin. They even have characteristics of the opposite. In the old cards, the woman represents the lower aspect of consciousness, the man the middle and the angel the higher. There's something sexist there, or old Aeon, I don't know, but it may be just a projection. In any case, it seems that the new card resonates better with this Aeon. However, the basic formula of consciousness>unconscious> super-consciousness is still valid.
Also, there is a connection with the Magician and the Hermit cards. This connection is given in the Book of the Law.
"For there are therein Three Grades, the Hermit, and the Lover, and the man of Earth."
I consider that the man of Earth is the Magician or initiate, the Lovers and Art cards are part of the same equation and so, they represent the alchemical transformation that has to take place for the initiate to be prepared in the mystical journey; and finally the Hermit as the initiate that has crossed the Abyss.
This is just my rambling, but I would like to hear what people think.
:)
"There is no law beyond Do what thou wilt."
User avatar
Metzareph
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:13 am
Location: New York

Postby Ankh » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:00 pm

93!

Quote;
Working with the tarot cards I noticed something that started me in a train of thought.

I love it when they do that. :D

Quote;
In the old lovers card (Rider-Waite deck), the man is looking at the woman, which is looking at the angel. The intention (as I understand it) is that the man represents consciousness. He cannot look directly into the super-consciousness (angel) without the unconscious (woman). That's sort of an old story, but the thing I found interesting is the way Crowley recreated the card.


It is my understanding that the specific effect or lessons of this Key/Atu is that of Discrimination.
The man our (Self consciousness) is taking direction from the Angel. I have always thought of the angle as our link to the Neshaman located in Binah across the Abyss.

I use this Tarot key/Atu arrangement for guidance with good success.

Neshamah
Heh-4 Mem-12 Shin-20 Nun-13

The Lovers
Zain-6

Ruach
Cheth-7 Vav-5 Resh-19

Quota;
In the Book of Thoth, he mentions that this card is the "solve" and that "Art" or the old "Temperance" is actually part of the same equation. Coagula et Solve.


Sure, Atu 14: Art/Temperance is given the Zodiacal sign of Sagittarius. The opposite sign of Gemini. The
Lovers. “Another fruitful arrangement if you will” is to take the Atus and pair them with there Zodiacal opposite. I have found in my personal Meditations that when I group them this way, they will start to talk to me about each other.
The Emperor-Justice
The Hierophant-Death
The Lovers-Temperance
The Chariot-The Devil
Strength-The Star
The Hermit-The Moon

Quote:
Also, he mentions that the figure performing the alchemical marriage in the Thoth deck is actually the Hermit.

I have always interpreted the Hermit in this case as being the Yekhidah the One the indivisible. I think it works.

Quote:
One, the rearrangement of the card in which the woman and the man share the same position. Being Gemini, they are 2 sides of the same coin. They even have characteristics of the opposite. In the old cards, the woman represents the lower aspect of consciousness, the man the middle and the angel the higher. There's something sexist there, or old Aeon, I don't know, but it may be just a projection. In any case, it seems that the new card resonates better with this Aeon.


I think the older symbols serve a purpose as the baseline to start and build from. I have done a lot of what you are doing now. I like to compare decks. :D

Each one carries a different shade of the same core meaning if they are rooted in the Qabalah.

Quote:
However, the basic formula of consciousness>unconscious> super-consciousness is still valid.

From my personal experience, I think so to. :wink:

Quote:
Also, there is a connection with the Magician and the Hermit cards. This connection is given in the Book of the Law.


Also, just from a Zodiacal and Old Aeon Mystical standpoint.
Mercury is exalted in Virgo. Heck, it is the two letter on the pillars in the Rider/Waite designs of the High Priestess Key also.

Quote:
For there are therein Three Grades, the Hermit, and the Lover, and the man of Earth."


I have never been an initiate of the O.T.O or any other Thelemic organization. Hell! I never talked to another Thelemite in my life till this forum! :wink:

But, it sounds like the three triads on the Tree of life to me. :twisted:

Quote:
I consider that the man of Earth is the Magician or initiate, the Lovers and Art cards are part of the same equation and so, they represent the alchemical transformation that has to take place for the initiate to be prepared in the mystical journey; and finally the Hermit as the initiate that has crossed the Abyss.


I like it! Seems like it fits. :twisted:

Love is the Law Love Under Will.
AL III,17: “Fear not at all; fear neither men nor Fates, nor gods, nor anything. Money fear not, nor laughter of the folk folly, nor any other power in heaven or upon the earth or under the earth. Nu is your refuge as Hadit your light; and I am the strength, force, vigour, of your arms.”
User avatar
Ankh
Stone of Precious Water
Stone of Precious Water
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:08 pm

Re: Lovers Card

Postby Steven Cranmer » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:34 am

Metzareph wrote:I consider that the man of Earth is the Magician or initiate

I like this association, too. The obvious oddity of AL I,40 is that two of the grade names correspond to Tarot trumps, but the third doesn't. I hadn't thought that deeply about the possibility that some other trump may be associated with MoE. The only Tarot trump with the name "Man" in its title is the Hanged Man, and that seems to be too strongly associated with the Aeon of Osiris to be right in this context.

Fraterdeen mentioned that Virgo (the Hermit) is ruled by Mercury, but so is Gemini (the Lovers)! It's a good fit to see the two "high" grades having a firm foundation in the lowest.

Steve
User avatar
Steven Cranmer
Stone of Precious Water
Stone of Precious Water
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:36 am
Location: New England


Return to Qabbalah

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest