Understanding Rosicrucian Gematria

Q&A and discussion on the Hermetic Qabbalah

Moderator: Moderators - Public

Understanding Rosicrucian Gematria

Postby Galahad » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:38 pm

While doing some Work yesterday, I found a gematric relationship between what I understand to be three important alchemical-Rosicrucian concepts. I found these terms in an issue of In The Continuum Vol. 5.1, on Page 15, in a section on the College of Thelema's Summary of the Latin Qabalah Simplex.

ABIEGNUS, the holy mountain of the Rosicrucians = 72
VITRIOL, a notariqon? of Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem, or "Visit the interior of the earth and rectifying (purifying) you will find the hidden stone." = 94
C.R.C., initials of Christian Rosenkruetz = 22

ABIEGNUS - VITRIOL = C.R.C.

I propose subtraction because it seems to suggestion the purifying process of VITRIOL, but I would love any insight into the formula.

Also, where does Abiegnus originate? I don't recall it from the Fama. And why does the C.O.T. article describe 72 as "[p]robably the most important theoretical no. in all of medieval magick"?

Thanks for any insight or leads on sources where I can look myself. I get the feeling that simple answers on questions about alchemy are not always possible.
For I am divided for love's sake, for the chance of union.
CCXX 1.29
Galahad
Copper Member
Copper Member

Re: Understanding Rosicrucian Gematria

Postby Jim Eshelman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:24 pm

Or another, simpler way to put it is:

C.R.C. + ABIEGNIS = VITRIOL

(You got your subtraction backwards.)

Galahad wrote:Also, where does Abiegnus originate? I don't recall it from the Fama.

Other Rosicrucian documents.

And why does the C.O.T. article describe 72 as "[p]robably the most important theoretical no. in all of medieval magick"?

Lotsa reasons - my notebook page on 72 is more like 2 pages. But most of the reasons boil down to the 72 pentades of the zodiac and their attribution to things like the Shem ha-M'phorash, the Goetic catelogue, etc. There are other important clues in the Latin Qabalah Simplex catalogue you consulted.
Love is the law, love under will.
Yours in L.V.X.,
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com
"Success is thy proof: argue not; convert not; talk not overmuch!" - CCXX 3:42
Jim Eshelman
Lost His Marbles

Return to Qabbalah