Holy places

Q&A and discussion on yoga and other avenues of mysticism

Moderator: Moderators - Public

Holy places

Postby Hermes » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:29 am

What holy places you went to impressed you most? Could you describe some things?
Last edited by Hermes on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermes
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire

Re: Holy places

Postby Shadow Self » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:28 pm

When my grandmother went on hospice they moved her to the palliative care ward that had a chapel in it. Basically, it was a large closet sized room set up like a church. I went in to check it out, and I had to walk out because the energy was just so overwhelming. I was not praying or anything. I did not want to stay there and pass out.
Shadow Self
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hermes » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:05 pm

Has anyone visited Boleskine?

South american HOLY PLACES? :)

I see two ways a place can be/get "holy":
.the actual latitude and longitude
.the constant praying/rituals over a long period of time

Maybe it could be intersting comparing different "vibes" according to geography and type of cult being practiced. And the interaction of both?

Also if many people say how they felt in the same places, we could discriminate objectivity and subjectivity. This could be cool both for general knowledge and self-knowledge... no?

Are the earth's "chakras" and "meridians" bullshit? Doesnt earth's energy and elements vary according to geography? Isnt it significant?

I'm surprised this doesnt interest more people. I thought i was not close enough to nature but now i'm not sure... I'm sure Crowley would have answered !!!! :twisted:
Hermes

Postby chris S » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:05 pm

It's certainly Thor's Hammer Simon. still, how would we define whats holy?
Back in my Uni days i was bombarded with Rudolf Otto.
chris S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danica » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:07 am

Frater Horus wrote:
I see two ways a place can be/get "holy":
.the actual latitude and longitude
.the constant praying/rituals over a long period of time

not sure what do you mean by "the actual latitude and longitude" making the place holy?
I believe there are spiritual beings, however, who are appointed to guard the places - mountains, villages, cities, etc.

regarding a place being holy for one person, there is also astrological factor to it: everyone has his/her own worst and best places on earth (see: astro relocation).
"Write, & find ecstasy in writing! Work, & be our bed in working! Thrill with the joy of life & death! Ah! thy death shall be lovely: whoso seeth it shall be glad. Thy death shall be the seal of the promise of our age long love. Come! lift up thine heart & rejoice! We are one; we are none."
danica
Nothing
Nothing

Postby Corvinae » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:29 am

Lol, heres a little devil for ya,

One of the most Holy Places I have ever been was Venice Beach, California. The sand is pretty boring, regular sand and no more seashells, the sky though over the sea, with the waves crashing down is a very nice touch. But the thing that makes this so Holy for me is this beach has a gym, outside, where many many young strong men sweat and pump iron, with the beach, and the waves and the sky behind them.

My definition of a holy place is a place where things met, and converge, and join, and interact. Be they water, stone, sky, lava, flesh, wood, minerals or vaporss. It is place where worlds met, possiliites happen, and new things arise. (sounds like a certain piece of furniture I love).

Most all of my experiences with holy places are in nature, yet I have seen some architecture which is almost as beautiful as a lump of coal could be.

I do make it a point to get out and about in my own local neighborhood (100 mile radius) and see what is there. I visit Niagara Falls, the Great Lakes, the Finger Lakes, and the forests and mountains around here.
Love is the Law.
Corvinae
Nothing
Nothing

Postby Jim Eshelman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:42 am

chris S wrote:,,,still, how would we define whats holy?

I think the error is in trying to create an "outside" definition.

That is, I'd describe a place as holy if being there instilled a sense of holiness in the witness. (The SRF Lake Shrine, about a quarter mile up Sunset Boulevard from the Malibu beach, is the first place I think of. Just went there again this last weekend with a friend.)
Love is the law, love under will.
Yours in L.V.X.,
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com
"Success is thy proof: argue not; convert not; talk not overmuch!" - CCXX 3:42
Jim Eshelman
Lost His Marbles

Postby chris S » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:28 pm

Jim Eshelman wrote:
chris S wrote:,,,still, how would we define whats holy?

I think the error is in trying to create an "outside" definition.

That is, I'd describe a place as holy if being there instilled a sense of holiness in the witness. (The SRF Lake Shrine, about a quarter mile up Sunset Boulevard from the Malibu beach, is the first place I think of. Just went there again this last weekend with a friend.)

Iv'e come a distance from Otto :)

Agreed, i have had an aha from watching a kitten chase a leaf fallen from a tree across the back yard.
To me the experience is never intentional, its a feeling of surprise that results from the discovery of some feature of the self that has been with us throughout our lives.. it's shape not being caused by language and cultural training, but that which is innate.. the deepest subjective component of all experience that opens onto the world as it actually is.
My view is when this second capacity is tapped, that it is possible to actually change what it means to have human experiences, and we can move from one to the other.. a transition process is available.. we are not stuck
chris S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby zeph » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:32 am

"But to love me is better than all things: if under the night stars in the desert thou presently burnest mine incense before me, invoking me with a pure heart, and the Serpent flame therein, thou shalt come a little to lie in my bosom."
zeph

Postby zeph » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:31 am

I'm about an hour from the desert. I appreciate your good wishes in this regard.

An archaic meaning of the term is any wild uninhabited and uncultivated tract, which may well be what is meant in the verse you requested.
zeph

Postby Jim Eshelman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:31 am

I'm not sure about that... having grown up in the Midwest, nobody considered it a desert. (Or, at least, they hadn't since the dustbowl era.)

But, to put Kasper's mind at ease: Zeph lives IN a desert. (It's called Southern California.) And only a couple of hours from the great Mojave Desert. (And even closer to high desert areas.)
Love is the law, love under will.
Yours in L.V.X.,
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com
"Success is thy proof: argue not; convert not; talk not overmuch!" - CCXX 3:42
Jim Eshelman
Lost His Marbles

Postby Takamba » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:05 am

"If we are to have Beauty and Love, whether in begetting children or works of art, or what not, we must have perfect freedom to act, without fear or shame or any falsity."
Takamba
Nothing
Nothing

Postby Q789 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:48 am

Excellent quote Simon love it
Q789
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby AliceKnewIt » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:54 am

I have felt the Holy in certain places. Usually near trees, but sometimes in churches and ancient temples.

I have an idea though, that when groups of people think of a certain place as holy, that the location picks up the vibrations, or that the holy feeling is contagious.
AliceKnewIt

Postby Simon Iff » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:33 pm

I find it helpful to use two criteria for "holy":

1) The word stems from "healing".
2) "Holy" is the antithesis of "entropy".

Entropy: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/entropy
The dead man Ankh-af-na-Khonsu
Saith with his voice of truth and calm:
I weave thee in the spinning charm
I lure thee with the billowy tune.

Hath parted from the darkling crowds
Hath joined the dwellers of the light
Hath made his passage into night
His pleasure on the earth to do
Amongst the living.

And again and again and again.
Simon Iff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danica » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:11 pm

Would anyone recommend some magical, mystical or otherwise interesting places to visit/experience in Austria?
I'm going there for the summer, will be situated in a small town in Upper Austria, two hours away (by train) from Wien.
"Write, & find ecstasy in writing! Work, & be our bed in working! Thrill with the joy of life & death! Ah! thy death shall be lovely: whoso seeth it shall be glad. Thy death shall be the seal of the promise of our age long love. Come! lift up thine heart & rejoice! We are one; we are none."
danica
Nothing
Nothing

Postby AliceKnewIt » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:57 pm

Go to the bone chapel in Hallstatt Karner – Hallstatt, Austria. I haven't been there, but I would love to go.

http://www.bylandersea.com/2009/10/a-bo ... t-austria/

http://www.hallstattaustria.net/the-pai ... hallstatt/
AliceKnewIt

Postby danica » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:33 am

AliceKnewIt wrote:Go to the bone chapel in Hallstatt Karner – Hallstatt, Austria. I haven't been there, but I would love to go.

http://www.bylandersea.com/2009/10/a-bo ... t-austria/

http://www.hallstattaustria.net/the-pai ... hallstatt/

Thank you, Alice! Noted it.
danica
Nothing
Nothing

Postby Simon Iff » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:12 pm

Generally, have a look in about a 20km radius around Hallstatt.

Being sensitive, one can find lots of interesting places, of power and holy ones, with eyes open. Be sure to visit the waterfalls of the "Waldbach Strub", the little quasi-christian steles in Hallstatt itself and the "Koppenwinkel Lacke".

Hallstatt may by the way be the oldest still inhabited village on the planet. Earliest finds place the earliest settlement there at 7000BC, so the place is 9000 years old as a settlement. That and its unique position alone - it is built from a lake shore up into a mountainside - make it a place of power.

Regards

Alpine Simon
Saith with his voice of truth and calm:
I weave thee in the spinning charm
I lure thee with the billowy tune.

Hath parted from the darkling crowds
Hath joined the dwellers of the light
Hath made his passage into night
His pleasure on the earth to do
Amongst the living.

And again and again and again.
Simon Iff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danica » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:04 am

Simon Iff wrote:
Hallstatt may by the way be the oldest still inhabited village on the planet. Earliest finds place the earliest settlement there at 7000BC, so the place is 9000 years old as a settlement. That and its unique position alone - it is built from a lake shore up into a mountainside - make it a place of power.

niiice :D
danica
Nothing
Nothing

Return to Mysticism