"Until we are actually on that voyage..."

Q&A and discussion on yoga and other avenues of mysticism

Moderator: Moderators - Public

"Until we are actually on that voyage..."

Postby Hermitas » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:35 am

Here's today's Facebook quote from the local Jungian Center. I like.

"Jungians such as Joseph Campbell have generalized... journeys into a set of archetypal events and images. Though they can be useful in criticism, I mistrust them as fatally reductive. 'Ah, the Night Sea Voyage!' we cry, feeling that we have understood something important — but we’ve merely recognized it.

Until we are actually on that voyage, we have understood nothing."

— Ursula K. Le Guin (Author)
Hermitas
Nothing
Nothing

Re: "Until we are actually on that voyage..."

Postby Takamba » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:32 am

"If we are to have Beauty and Love, whether in begetting children or works of art, or what not, we must have perfect freedom to act, without fear or shame or any falsity."
Takamba
Nothing
Nothing

Postby Angel of Death » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:47 am

Fonzie is a great archetype himself,

The bad guy on the motorcycle in the leather coat....
Yet underneath that mask was a Hero with a heart of gold.

Don't know if anyone is familiar with Ursula and her fantastic books, but she is a notable fantasy science fiction author who is able to push conventionally held archetypal stereotypes to new boundaries. Highly recommend her works, as well as Joseph Campbell. JC's works were very enlightening as well as entertaining.
Love is the Law.
Angel of Death
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire

Postby Hermitas » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:09 am

kasper81 wrote:I used to like Fonzie when he defied the laws of science by banging that jukebox back to life

Oh, come on, Kasper. Everybody knows that was just an electrical short that Fonzie knew how to take advantage of. :)

P.S. Back in the day, I carried both my skulls for a full year. For what that's worth...
Hermitas
Nothing
Nothing

Postby Takamba » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:35 am

Legis wrote:
kasper81 wrote:I used to like Fonzie when he defied the laws of science by banging that jukebox back to life

Oh, come on, Kasper. Everybody knows that was just an electrical short that Fonzie knew how to take advantage of. :)

P.S. Back in the day, I carried both my skulls for a full year. For what that's worth...

The magick in it was that the song that would play would always be synchronistically appropriate.
"If we are to have Beauty and Love, whether in begetting children or works of art, or what not, we must have perfect freedom to act, without fear or shame or any falsity."
Takamba
Nothing
Nothing

Postby Hermitas » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:40 am

Takamba wrote:
Legis wrote:

The magick in it was that the song that would play would always be synchronistically appropriate.

I never noticed that.

Makes me wonder how much I missed because I thought it was just a short and wasn't expecting anything like that to happen..
Hermitas
Nothing
Nothing

Return to Mysticism