Heart pounding during asana

Q&A and discussion on yoga and other avenues of mysticism

Moderator: Moderators - Public

Heart pounding during asana

Postby gerry456 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:42 pm

Hello,

I've been lengthening daily asana sessions (an hour or more without pranayama) and towards the end, (or from the mid point onwards?) my heart starts pounding. Is this the panic of ego-death?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego_death

Daniel Merkur (1998) uses the term to refer to the "death crisis" which may occur during a trip:[18]

[The] death-rebirth experience [is] also described in the literature as "ego death." It is sometimes termed "ego loss" [...] The death crisis takes various forms. The early examples in a series of death crises are usually attended by extreme panic

Should this panic be happening via mere asana? I was under the impression it was a pranayama thing.
2.19 They shall rejoice, our chosen: who sorroweth is not of us.

2.21 We have nothing with the outcast and the unfit: let them die in their misery. For they feel not. Compassion is the vice of kings: stamp down the wretched & the weak: this is the law of the strong: this is our law and the joy of the world.
gerry456
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire

Re: Heart pounding during asana

Postby Jim Eshelman » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:14 pm

I doubt the ego is threatened by an hour of asana.

If your health is good (no blood pressure problems) and you aren't straining in exertion, it may be just greater sensitization - as things get really quiet comparatively.
Love is the law, love under will.
Yours in L.V.X.,
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com
"Success is thy proof: argue not; convert not; talk not overmuch!" - CCXX 3:42
Jim Eshelman
Lost His Marbles

Postby gerry456 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:51 am

I was doing 50 minutes a night no problems but it started when I jumped to 1 hour 23 minutes. The next night I did an hour. I don't get treated for blood-pressure and I suspect it's related to me attempting to relieve the pain.

I feel that after weeks of 50 minutes a night I reached Crowley's threshold point where the pain is transcended. All good until I extended it to the hour so it's a form of writhing but without moving.
. I think I may take it back to the 50 minutes and gradually work up.

The 1hour 23 minutes was a mistake due to the alarm clock cutting out. Was meant to be an hour only.

2.21 We have nothing with the outcast and the unfit: let them die in their misery. For they feel not. Compassion is the vice of kings: stamp down the wretched & the weak: this is the law of the strong: this is our law and the joy of the world.
gerry456

Postby gerry456 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:32 pm

Tonight I did 50 minutes and yes confirmed what I was thinking. I think I'm going to slowly step it up to the full hour maybe 2 minutes added a night.

gerry456

Return to Mysticism