The One Year Manual: Twelve Steps

Q&A and discussion on yoga and other avenues of mysticism

Moderator: Moderators - Public

The One Year Manual: Twelve Steps

Postby Mike » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:18 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this book/system by Israel Regardie.

Would you recommend it? Would you recommend against it?

I'm debating changing it lightly, such as switching the Rose Cross rituals with LBRPs instead. Do you have any experience one way or the other and have any thoughts on that idea?

I intend on performing this at some point, possibly over the next year (throughout 2011 in other words).
The Sun, strength & sight, light.
Mike
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire

Re: The One Year Manual: Twelve Steps

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:57 pm

[Follow-up: After reading Jim's post in my thread on the RC Ritual, I don't think I will be replacing it.]
Mike

Postby TheSilent1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:38 am

I did the one year manual with good results. The only thing I modified were the prayers to God. I substituted them with some of my favorite invocations by Crowley. It's definitely a worthy endeavor.
Thou that livest in the Glory beyond that Gate: Heart of my Soul; Thee I Invoke! Come Thou forth unto me, who art my very Self-hood; mine Essence, my Light: and do Thou guard me and guide me through the Manifold Paths of Life: that I may at length become one with Thine Immortal and Imperishable Essence!
TheSilent1
Stone of Precious Water
Stone of Precious Water

Postby Mike » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:33 am

TheSilent1 wrote:I did the one year manual with good results. The only thing I modified were the prayers to God. I substituted them with some of my favorite invocations by Crowley. It's definitely a worthy endeavor.

That's cool :D At a glance, it looks pretty powerful given what one is actually required to do, which isn't much; the ritual component only comes in at about halfway through the process, for instance. It also seems to slope upward in intensity very slowly and gently, which is something I definitely appreciate.
Mike

Postby TheSilent1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:48 pm

Just remember that the results are a cumulative effect. You have to keep adding the layers without discarding anything. If you haven't read "The Spiritual Guide" by Michael Molinos I HIGHLY recommend it especially if you want to undertake this particular work.
Thou that livest in the Glory beyond that Gate: Heart of my Soul; Thee I Invoke! Come Thou forth unto me, who art my very Self-hood; mine Essence, my Light: and do Thou guard me and guide me through the Manifold Paths of Life: that I may at length become one with Thine Immortal and Imperishable Essence!
TheSilent1
Stone of Precious Water
Stone of Precious Water

Postby Mike » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:11 am

TheSilent1 wrote:If you haven't read "The Spiritual Guide" by Michael Molinos I HIGHLY recommend it especially if you want to undertake this particular work.

I plan to take your advice anyway, but, out of curiosity - why? How does it relate to this particular work?

Actually, another question I want to tack onto the end of this- The adorations are basically Liber Resh, correct? In the One Year Manual, Regardie states that, for instance:

At dawn, or upopn arising, he should perform whatever ablutions are customary and then turning towards the East, say audibly: [etc]

I have no experience with assumption of Godforms or anything of the like - are they necessary for the performance of these adorations in this context? What about the usage of grade signs and such? In short, how far would you recommend going for this?
Mike

Postby TheSilent1 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:01 am

Basically, perform Liber Resh as it is written in Book4. Just focus on saying the adorations four times a day. The assumption of god-forms can be done by spending time visualizing yourself as the god/dess that you are adoring, but that isn't as important as simply doing the adorations daily.

The Spiritual Guide applies greatly to these practices and developing an inner spirituality while developing this practice. It also helps to understand "dryness" and depression, that may or may not occur while undertaking the work. The book is literally a pamphlet that you can read in a few hours, yet full of so much insight.
TheSilent1
Stone of Precious Water
Stone of Precious Water

Postby Avshalom Binyamin » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:07 pm

To make you aware of the unabated presence of the sun.
Every man and every woman is a star.
Avshalom Binyamin
Nothing
Nothing

Postby Edward Mason » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:19 pm

Alrah wrote:
Before the 5=6 it's just an intellectual exercise.

Not my experience of it at all. When I did it most rigorously, I wasn't aware of any effects, but I realized later that I was conditioning myself to particular perception of totality - or Totality. A lot of this stuff we do doesn't have an immediately discernible effect, but it does have a cumulative one.

Intellectually, BTW, I found Resh a bit baffling in those early days, and somehow distasteful. It worked at suborning my usual perceptions partly because of this.

And yes, I noticed the quiet. I rather like it. 8)

93 93/93,

Edward
Edward Mason

Postby Jim Eshelman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:07 pm

Alrah wrote:Before the 5=6 it's just an intellectual exercise.

I disagree entirely. At the very least, before 5=6 it is a frequent recurring pointer in the right direction.

Also, there is good magick (and good astrology) in it: The times when the Sun is on the horizon and meridian are (as with all planets) the times of day that we have most ready access to the mode of consciousness related to the Sun. Consciously affirming a connection to it at those times, in even a bad case, will incrementally build up an identification with that consciousness in the aspirant.

And, of course, there is the pure discipline. Stopping to do something at specific points four times a day (the time being out of your control) for weeks, months, or years at a time is damn good training.
Love is the law, love under will.
Yours in L.V.X.,
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com
"Success is thy proof: argue not; convert not; talk not overmuch!" - CCXX 3:42
Jim Eshelman
Lost His Marbles

Postby kuniggety » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:39 am

Alrah wrote:that completely ignored the effect upon the subconscious and the potential transformative effects upon the aspirant.

Just a quick note but this is why I do ANY ritual and in particular, why I like liber Resh so much. Aside from the LBRP, prolonged performance of this ritual has been a staple in my ritual work.
kuniggety
Stone of Precious Water
Stone of Precious Water

Postby horustheantichrist » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:45 pm

Ash wrote:[Follow-up: After reading Jim's post in my thread on the RC Ritual, I don't think I will be replacing it.]

Why not replace the RC with the LBRP?
horustheantichrist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HA 86 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:46 pm

I am working The One Year Manual currently, and I am on the Mind Awareness section currently. I have made a few posts of my expeiences regarding this section in the thread "From theory to practice".

[edit: premature posting]
-HaIVD AIN
The Hand of Naught
HA 86
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HA 86 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:49 pm

Oh, and yes so far I would definately recommend it.
-HaIVD AIN
The Hand of Naught
HA 86
Gold Member
Gold Member

Return to Mysticism