Regardie's level of attainment

Q&A and discussion on yoga and other avenues of mysticism

Moderator: Moderators - Public

Regardie's level of attainment

Postby Mike » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:44 am

93.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone (*cough* Jim *cough*) happen to know what Regardie's degree of attainment was, in any system? (Although seeing an expression in A.'.A.'. or even G.D. terms would be helpful.)

In particular, is it public knowledge whether or not he attained to the K&CHGA?

93, 93/93.
The Sun, strength & sight, light.
User avatar
Mike
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire
 
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:39 am
Location: USA

Re: Regardie's level of attainment

Postby Jim Eshelman » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:29 am

Ash wrote:93.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone (*cough* Jim *cough*) happen to know what Regardie's degree of attainment was, in any system? (Although seeing an expression in A.'.A.'. or even G.D. terms would be helpful.)

In particular, is it public knowledge whether or not he attained to the K&CHGA?

In Golden Dawn terms, I don't think he ever claimed, or openly accepted, anything higher than 5=6. He did, however, serve as an officer in a 6=5 ceremony. One respected source certified him post mortem as a 7=4, but I think we have to regard that as a formality.

Having known him, can attest to his having a particular mixture of graciousness and manners + quick intolerance of foolishness. I tend to think that these traits would have led him to appreciate the gesture, but take a slightly disdainful look at the whole question of what grade he had. I suspect his p.o.v. would have been that, in the Golden Dawn, having a particular grade meant passing through its ritual, so he might have deigned to acknowledge the 6=5 but not the 7=4.

All that speculation aside...

For the last part of your question, he did say in conversation and in correspondence that he had attained to the K&C of the HGA. He separately said something else on another occassion, and it seems to say the same thing: Though he was received as a Probationer in A.'.A.'., he was never initiated to Neophyte, so held that he had never been "in the A.'.A.'." - but he did say that he had worked its curriculum step by step on his own. (My favorite visit with him included a few minutes when he and I did a "duelling banjos" type of quoting parts of Liber LXV and Liber VII back and forth at each other with ever widening grins.)
Love is the law, love under will.
Yours in L.V.X.,
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com
"Success is thy proof: argue not; convert not; talk not overmuch!" - CCXX 3:42
User avatar
Jim Eshelman
Lost His Marbles
 
Posts: 9579
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:41 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Regardie's level of attainment

Postby Mike » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:13 pm

93.

Thank you for the response - exactly what I was looking for.

Jim and Regardie dueling with quotes from the Holy Books... fascinating image, that :lol:

I was always under the impression that Regardie had respect for Crowley and Thelema (enough to propagate it), but didn't consider himself actually part of a Thelemic movement in any way.

93, 93/93.
The Sun, strength & sight, light.
User avatar
Mike
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire
 
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:39 am
Location: USA

Re: Regardie's level of attainment

Postby seekinghga » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:14 pm

Jim Eshelman wrote:
Ash wrote:93.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone (*cough* Jim *cough*) happen to know what Regardie's degree of attainment was, in any system? (Although seeing an expression in A.'.A.'. or even G.D. terms would be helpful.)

In particular, is it public knowledge whether or not he attained to the K&CHGA?

In Golden Dawn terms, I don't think he ever claimed, or openly accepted, anything higher than 5=6. He did, however, serve as an officer in a 6=5 ceremony. One respected source certified him post mortem as a 7=4, but I think we have to regard that as a formality.

Having known him, can attest to his having a particular mixture of graciousness and manners + quick intolerance of foolishness. I tend to think that these traits would have led him to appreciate the gesture, but take a slightly disdainful look at the whole question of what grade he had. I suspect his p.o.v. would have been that, in the Golden Dawn, having a particular grade meant passing through its ritual, so he might have deigned to acknowledge the 6=5 but not the 7=4.

All that speculation aside...

For the last part of your question, he did say in conversation and in correspondence that he had attained to the K&C of the HGA. He separately said something else on another occassion, and it seems to say the same thing: Though he was received as a Probationer in A.'.A.'., he was never initiated to Neophyte, so held that he had never been "in the A.'.A.'." - but he did say that he had worked its curriculum step by step on his own. (My favorite visit with him included a few minutes when he and I did a "duelling banjos" type of quoting parts of Liber LXV and Liber VII back and forth at each other with ever widening grins.)

Excellent post.
"And they that read the book and debated thereon passed into the desolate land of Barren Words. And they that sealed up the book into their blood were the chosen of Adonai, and the Thought of Adonai was a Word and a Deed; and they abode in the Land that the far-off travellers call Naught."
- LXV 5:59
seekinghga
Stone of Precious Water
Stone of Precious Water
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:30 pm
Location: York, Pennsylvania

Re: Regardie's level of attainment

Postby armedwithlunchboxes » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:38 pm

Ash wrote:93.

Thank you for the response - exactly what I was looking for.

Jim and Regardie dueling with quotes from the Holy Books... fascinating image, that :lol:

I was always under the impression that Regardie had respect for Crowley and Thelema (enough to propagate it), but didn't consider himself actually part of a Thelemic movement in any way.

93, 93/93.


In the foreward to the golden dawn he is said to have used the holy books as a tool in bibliomancy during one of his therapy sessions. Also, on the ciceros golden dawn website theres a letter from regardie using the thelemic greetings: do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law, and love is the law, love under will. I never knew what to make of this.
The sun has blackened out the flame of candles.
So your victorious phantom seems as one,
O blazing spirit, with the deathless Sun! -Baudelaire
User avatar
armedwithlunchboxes
Copper Member
Copper Member
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: Regardie's level of attainment

Postby Jim Eshelman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:05 pm

armedwithlunchboxes wrote:Also, on the ciceros golden dawn website theres a letter from regardie using the thelemic greetings: do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law, and love is the law, love under will. I never knew what to make of this.

It mostly means he was a teacher and had manners. He would use those greetings with Thelemites; and, if you were a Thelemite, he would stop and make a point of telling you that you should use those greetings "because you're a Thelemite."
Love is the law, love under will.
Yours in L.V.X.,
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com
"Success is thy proof: argue not; convert not; talk not overmuch!" - CCXX 3:42
User avatar
Jim Eshelman
Lost His Marbles
 
Posts: 9579
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:41 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Regardie's level of attainment

Postby armedwithlunchboxes » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:56 pm

Jim Eshelman wrote:
armedwithlunchboxes wrote:Also, on the ciceros golden dawn website theres a letter from regardie using the thelemic greetings: do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law, and love is the law, love under will. I never knew what to make of this.

It mostly means he was a teacher and had manners. He would use those greetings with Thelemites; and, if you were a Thelemite, he would stop and make a point of telling you that you should use those greetings "because you're a Thelemite."


I found it interesting because it was in a letter to the H.O.G.D. GA temple discussing the building of the vault of the adepts and the alteration of certain rituals. And in the very next letter he dosent use the greetings.

It must have been a great privilege to know the man. His "the tree of life" has been invaluable to me.
The sun has blackened out the flame of candles.
So your victorious phantom seems as one,
O blazing spirit, with the deathless Sun! -Baudelaire
User avatar
armedwithlunchboxes
Copper Member
Copper Member
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: Regardie's level of attainment

Postby indeed93 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:56 am

Old post but he used the greetings in that letter because Chic and his first wife were OTO members at the time, I believe they even had a camp there. I'm not sure when he quit but I think his ex may still be a member.
indeed93
Copper Member
Copper Member
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:01 am

Re: Regardie's level of attainment

Postby Starry Soul » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:27 pm

kasper81 wrote:
Ash wrote:93.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone (*cough* Jim *cough*) happen to know what Regardie's degree of attainment was, in any system? .


why would you want to know this, if you don't mind me asking?

He seemed to have attained to decent human being grade, but I never knew the guy

That's the first thing he stated: "out of curiosity."
Starry Soul
 

Re: Regardie's level of attainment

Postby Starry Soul » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:41 pm

Why anything?
Starry Soul
 


Return to Mysticism

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron