Earworms - Music

Per user request, here is a place to discuss dream interpretation.

Earworms - Music

Postby AliceKnewIt » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:10 am

This is not a dream, but it could be interpreted similarly I think.

"Earworms" are when a song gets stuck in your head, and you keep hearing it. Sometimes it is difficult to banish. Though sometimes I actually enjoy it, if its a song I like. But I have also had songs I can't stand stuck in my head!

I wonder why my mind chooses certain songs. I notice sometimes I will hear a phrase that matches some lyrics. Or I sometimes hear the Beatles "I'm so Tired" when I am tired.

Anyway, lately I am hearing Elton John's "Tiny Dancer" every morning when I wake up. I like the song, though I never thought of it as a favorite song, nor have I followed Elton John very closely.

I am reading the lyrics and nothing particularly resonates why I would latch on to this song.
https://play.google.com/music/preview/T ... yrics&u=0#

Here's a short article on earworms. The study concluded that there are three main reasons why they occur, and it comes down to pace, the shape of the melody and a few unique intervals that make a song stand out.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/03/health/so ... index.html
AliceKnewIt
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire

Re: Earworms - Music

Postby AliceKnewIt » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:56 am

I especially hear the chorus:

When I say softly, slowly
Hold me closer tiny dancer
Count the headlights on the highway
Lay me down in sheets of linen
You had a busy day today

Why would I start hearing that upon waking, and hear it all morning?
AliceKnewIt

Postby Takamba » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:47 am

Impossible to answer the specific question as it can only be a personal answer. Non-personal answers: it could be related to something ambient prior your waking. Perhaps a neighborhood sound? Or look up the science and art of lyric craft; ear worms are the intended goal. The artist has succeeded.
"If we are to have Beauty and Love, whether in begetting children or works of art, or what not, we must have perfect freedom to act, without fear or shame or any falsity."
Takamba
Nothing
Nothing

Postby danica » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:06 am

My usual response to this when it happens is to start chanting the mantra (I do it silently) - any mantra that you are familiar with - especially if you used it for a long time so the subconsciousness will readily take it on and stick to it - will work.
Om Namah Shivaya is my preferred weapon of choice :D
"Write, & find ecstasy in writing! Work, & be our bed in working! Thrill with the joy of life & death! Ah! thy death shall be lovely: whoso seeth it shall be glad. Thy death shall be the seal of the promise of our age long love. Come! lift up thine heart & rejoice! We are one; we are none."
danica

Postby danica » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:59 am

As per why it may be appearing, observe the words in the particular song that keeps coming, maybe meditate on them to see what triggers you there, what emotions or images are evoked below the immediate surface of awareness.
"Write, & find ecstasy in writing! Work, & be our bed in working! Thrill with the joy of life & death! Ah! thy death shall be lovely: whoso seeth it shall be glad. Thy death shall be the seal of the promise of our age long love. Come! lift up thine heart & rejoice! We are one; we are none."
danica

Postby Hermitas » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:13 pm

Upon waking?

Probably either "sheets of linen" or "busy day today."

For me, it's usually some kind of association with a triggering phrase.

Alternately, it could just be a match to your your mood. Honestly, I would love to wake up in a "Tiny Dancer" kind of mood.
Hermitas
Nothing
Nothing

Postby Hermitas » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:05 am

It almost worked.

Ended up showering to "Hold me closer, Tony Danza..." [old "Friends" joke] on repeat.
Hermitas
Nothing
Nothing

Postby seekinghga » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:51 pm

Alice, earworms are the bane of meditation. Or at least they seem to be. I remember one period where I had this song playing in my head for nearly two months whenever I tried to meditate--only then! I tried listening to the song in order to satisfy the desire in the hopes that it would become sated and disappear. No luck. It is only by an extreme focus and concentration on what is not it which can dispel it. A resolution of pure will. That's what worked for me. *shrugs*

@Hermitas "Tiny Dancer" is a great song. It was one of the first songs I learned to play on keyboard. Good luck vanishing that one! ;)
"And they that read the book and debated thereon passed into the desolate land of Barren Words. And they that sealed up the book into their blood were the chosen of Adonai, and the Thought of Adonai was a Word and a Deed; and they abode in the Land that the far-off travellers call Naught."
- LXV 5:59
seekinghga
Stone of Precious Water
Stone of Precious Water

Return to Dreams & Interpretation