Thelemic interpretation of The Divine Comedy

Q&A and discussion on the world view encapsulating humanity's current stage of evolution

Moderator: Moderators - Public

Thelemic interpretation of The Divine Comedy

Postby FiatYod » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:37 am

I've recently read The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri, and while it's a mildly-to-very Christian poem, I couldn't help but view it in the context of my own path.
So Virgil seemed to me like a supervisor/mentor/Zelator in this or that Order, who guides Dante through his magical journey.
Then, near the end of Purgatorio, Dante meets his HGA, Beatrice, who then replaces Virgil and takes the role of Dante's guide.
And through Paradiso, Dante's HGA leads him towards that Thing which is No-Thing and the source of all Things, to which we all aspire.

I would love to hear your thoughts.
FiatYod
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Thelemic interpretation of The Divine Comedy

Postby seekinghga » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:38 pm

FiatYod wrote:I've recently read The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri, and while it's a mildly-to-very Christian poem, I couldn't help but view it in the context of my own path.

In what ways did you couple the similarities? I ask because when such acclimation between divergent ideals becomes automatic, it may be a sign of the burgeoning influence of the Neschamah over the Ruach; i.e. the General vs. the Specific. Of course, any meaning to be had from any of it is contingent upon Work and Work AND...Work. You know that, F.Y. :)
"And they that read the book and debated thereon passed into the desolate land of Barren Words. And they that sealed up the book into their blood were the chosen of Adonai, and the Thought of Adonai was a Word and a Deed; and they abode in the Land that the far-off travellers call Naught."
- LXV 5:59
seekinghga
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire

Postby FiatYod » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:45 am

seekinghga wrote:
FiatYod wrote:I've recently read The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri, and while it's a mildly-to-very Christian poem, I couldn't help but view it in the context of my own path.

In what ways did you couple the similarities? I ask because when such acclimation between divergent ideals becomes automatic, it may be a sign of the burgeoning influence of the Neschamah over the Ruach; i.e. the General vs. the Specific. Of course, any meaning to be had from any of it is contingent upon Work and Work AND...Work. You know that, F.Y. :)

What do you mean by "in what ways"? I simply read and the similarities struck me.
Maybe I should look deeper into what it means to just "be struck" by something.
FiatYod
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby seekinghga » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:16 pm

On dual wings named vairagya and viveka we flew, in the blue...

We flew unto Ourselves; we flew unto that ever-present Night of peerless silence.

"Who art thou that dost float and fly and dive and soar in the inane? Behold, these many æons have passed; whence camest thou? Whither wilt thou go?"
"And they that read the book and debated thereon passed into the desolate land of Barren Words. And they that sealed up the book into their blood were the chosen of Adonai, and the Thought of Adonai was a Word and a Deed; and they abode in the Land that the far-off travellers call Naught."
- LXV 5:59
seekinghga

Return to Thelema