What did he mean by this?

Q&A and discussion on the world view encapsulating humanity's current stage of evolution

Moderator: Moderators - Public

What did he mean by this?

Postby Mercurius » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:27 pm

"Governments do not govern, but merely control the machinery of government, being themselves controlled by the hidden hand. For you see, the world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined by those who are not behind the scenes."
BENJAMIN DISRAELI 1804-1881 (Former British PM)
Mercurius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What did he mean by this?

Postby Gnosomai Emauton » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:46 am

Are you looking for a Thelemic analysis of Disraeli?
Go in all ways contrary to the world.
Gnosomai Emauton
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire

Postby gerry456 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:34 pm

Mercurius wrote:"Governments do not govern, but merely control the machinery of government, being themselves controlled by the hidden hand. For you see, the world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined by those who are not behind the scenes."

Yeah well he was obviously talking about financial forces but as Gnosomai said how are you relating this to the subject of Thelema?
2.19 They shall rejoice, our chosen: who sorroweth is not of us.

2.21 We have nothing with the outcast and the unfit: let them die in their misery. For they feel not. Compassion is the vice of kings: stamp down the wretched & the weak: this is the law of the strong: this is our law and the joy of the world.
gerry456

Postby Mercurius » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:13 pm

I don't like to gaslight discussion but wondered if anyone's minds wandered to secret chiefs.
Mercurius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerry456 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:19 am

Mercurius wrote:I don't like to gaslight discussion but wondered if anyone's minds wandered to secret chiefs.

Well those financiers did work in secret and their decisions were chief!! Lol.

No, alien dieties running the affairs of Victorian governmental shennanigans would be the last thing on my mind if I was writing a history essay based on this quote.

I'd probably get an F minor grade as well if I went down your avenue.

What gives you the impression that D'Isreali was a Balavatskyite?
2.19 They shall rejoice, our chosen: who sorroweth is not of us.

2.21 We have nothing with the outcast and the unfit: let them die in their misery. For they feel not. Compassion is the vice of kings: stamp down the wretched & the weak: this is the law of the strong: this is our law and the joy of the world.
gerry456

Postby Avshalom Binyamin » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:21 pm

gerry456 wrote:
Mercurius wrote:"Governments do not govern, but merely control the machinery of government, being themselves controlled by the hidden hand. For you see, the world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined by those who are not behind the scenes."

Yeah well he was obviously talking about financial forces but as Gnosomai said how are you relating this to the subject of Thelema?

Well, he said: "the world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined by those who are not behind the scenes."

Now, you're not behind the scenes. And you imagine it's financial forces. So Disraeli is saying that it's very different from financial forces.
טהרה אלמד
Avshalom Binyamin
Nothing
Nothing

Postby Gnosomai Emauton » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:56 pm

Though I still fail to see what any of this has to do with Thelema, I can at least clear up the mis-quote.

The actual quote is from chapter 15 of the novel Coningsby which Disraeli published in 1844. It is spoken by Sidonia, who is modeled on Nathan Mayer Rothschild (2nd gen. of the famous German-Jewish banking dynasty) with a bit of Disraeli himself thrown in for good measure. It comes at the end of a long discourse wherein Sidonia educates the title character on the complete penetration that Jews have accomplished at all levels of international government, despite their semi-official status as underdogs and outcasts. After multiple examples of the various Jews that Sidonia himself has encountered as government officials in his closed-door meetings across the continent, he concludes with:
‘So you see, my dear Coningsby, that the world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined by those who are not behind the scenes.’
‘You startle, and deeply interest me.’ [says Coningsby]

The first sentence, regarding the "hidden hand", may have also been said by Disraeli (though I cannot find a source for it), but it was not said in regards to anything "behind the scenes". If it was said by him, I'd presume it did refer, as gerry assumes, to Adam Smith's "invisible hand" of the market though it could, possibly, refer to the "hidden hand" of Jewish financial firms.

[EDIT:] It appears that most of the conspiracy theory websites that utilize this quote source back to the same original document that misattributes the first half to Sidonia as well. This is incorrect. There is nothing in Coningsby about machinery of government or a hidden hand.
Go in all ways contrary to the world.
Gnosomai Emauton

Postby Mercurius » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:21 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mercurius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Return to Thelema