DELETED

Q&A and discussion on the Path of Initiation

Moderator: Moderators - Public

Have you practiced Liber III vel JVGORVM?

Yes, it hurt.
43%
Yes, I did it painlessly though.
10%
No, not there yet.
38%
No, not willing to cut myself.
10%
What's Liber III vel JVGORVM?
No votes

Total votes : 21

Postby Jonathan » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:49 pm

i always did it with a big produce rubber band from the grocery store.
when you find yourself doing the thing your not supposed to, snap that rubber band. it hurts enough.. lol

worked just fine..

you can also try it with matches, light the match, blow it out then place the match on your arm.. that might be to hardcore for most though

the rubber band thing is what i recomend...
Jonathan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jim Eshelman » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:26 pm

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

I requested and received the following answer from the Praemonstrator of the A.'.A.'.:

Cutting isn't recommended - at least, not unless you know and practice the means of protecting yourself against infection and damage.

I mostly used a rubber band, too, but not an oversized one - a tiny little one just slightly larger than the wrist. Stings like a son of a bitch.

Cutting is just the technique. Crowley had actually discovered behaviorism decades ahead of its recognized founder. It was pioneering work, but we've come a long way in knowledge of behavioral modification in a hundred years. The A.'.A.'. member should, in any case, consult with his or her senior on this matter (as the traditional curriculum instructs one to do in 2=9 in anticipation of the formal Liber III exams in 3=8, 4=7, and Dom. Lim.).
Love is the law, love under will.
Yours in L.V.X.,
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com
"Success is thy proof: argue not; convert not; talk not overmuch!" - CCXX 3:42
Jim Eshelman
Lost His Marbles

Postby bethata418 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:27 pm

i used a rubberband as i read about in ABRAHADABRA when i did it years ago.
there is no law beyond do what thou wilt
bethata418
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby LPD Nu » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:20 pm

Yeah the rubberband method seems the most intelligent. After all, can you imagine being at the office with blood seeping through the sleeves of your crisp, white Arrow shirt!

BTW, the method has found its way into popular media. A couple of years ago I saw it on, I believe, the program 'Just Shoot Me'. In fact, that's where I picked up the method as an alternative to cutting.

Keep in mind, traditional methods of any kind should be as subject to evolution as anything else. The alternatives lead to disasters such as the 'stoning' fiascoes that keep repeating themselves in Mecca--nothing against their religion, of course. But come on...

Regards,

Y. S.
LPD Nu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jim Eshelman » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:35 pm

From The Mystical & Magical System of the A.'.A.'., Chapter 5 on the 3=8 (Practicus) Grade:

The actual task is “control of speech.” One tool that is given for this purpose is Liber 3, which is Liber Jugorum (The Book of Yokes).

Liber Jugorum is one of the earliest A.'.A.'. instructions. It is an instruction in “behavior modification” or “operant conditioning,” written decades before those terms existed in their contemporary sense. Three of its sections are dedicated to exercises for establishing, first, control over one’s speech (for the Practicus), then control over one’s actions (for the Philosophus), and, finally, control over one’s thoughts (for the Dominus Liminis; originally for the Adeptus Minor).

Speech is metaphorically represented by the Unicorn; action by the Horse; and thought by the Ox. Liber Jugorum teaches methods to “yoke” these beasts and bring them under one’s own control.

The essential method is to set a discipline for oneself – for example, deciding that, for a particular period of time, one will not utter a certain common word such as “but” – then vigilantly witness one’s success. For each failure, a razor blade is used to cut one’s own arm. The cut must be in the immediate aftermath, so as to associate, unquestionably, the response with the slip. The arm then becomes, as well, a physical record of the success of the practice!

The same method is applied later for control of action and control of thought.

There are those who consider this to be a barbaric practice, however successful it might be! This criticism warrants a few remarks.

First, the underlying practice is control of speech. The Practicus is not limited to this particular way of gaining that control.

Second, there are other devices for sending a sharp pain signal and building a “vigilance reflex” (the building of which is an important part of the idea in this practice). A reasonably tight (but not constricting) rubber band worn around the wrist allows for a good sharp snap that gets the point across, and still lets one function reasonably in the business world (unlike the razor blade method!).

Third, if a blade is used, keep it antiseptic. Perseverance in this practice does not warrant unhealthful actions. (An otherwise virgin blade can be carried in a little box, folded into a sponge saturated with alcohol, for example.)

Fourth, if you are avoiding the razor because of fear of pain, fear of blood, or an aversion to cutting yourself, then, at some point, you likely will have to confront that fear and conquer it. On the other hand, if you are using the razor method because you enjoy it, or if you have any prior pattern of self-inflicted injury, you are advised to cease this practice at once and consider seeking good professional psychological help.

Fifth – which is especially important if you are really bad in your control of speech – don’t be stupid. Never carry the practice, in any form, to the place where it threatens physical damage, scar tissue, serious blood loss, or anything of the kind. Do not use the blade method if you are a diabetic or hemophiliac.

Sixth, behaviorism has learned, in more recent times, that rewarding a desired behavior is generally far more effective than punishing a bad one. Liber Jugorum’s methods may have been innovative for 1910 (when the paper was first published), but behavioral psychologists would consider them primitive barbarisms today. Keep attention on the underlying goal, and not so much on the method!
Love is the law, love under will.
Yours in L.V.X.,
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com
"Success is thy proof: argue not; convert not; talk not overmuch!" - CCXX 3:42
Jim Eshelman
Lost His Marbles

Postby Malaclypse » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:41 pm

I thought it was hilarious the first time I looked at the picture in Liber Resh vel Helios sub figura CC with the text "Fra - after one week of avoiding the first person. His fidelity is good; his vigilance bad. Not nearly good enough to pass." underneath, and the arms look really terrible! Seemed so much like Crowley's obnoxious sense of humour to me. :-D

I simply pinched myself to stop referring to myself and added an imaginary vision of myself cutting out my eye or chopping off the entire arm or something equally grotesque, to make sure it would shock the nervous system. If the subject of imagination was increased and randomized between different subjects it helped just the same as physical pain (when I simply tried pinching without imagining). =)
Every man and every woman is a star.
Malaclypse
Stone of Precious Water
Stone of Precious Water

Return to Initiation