January 13 (Heru-Ra-Ha) Liber L., Cap. III, v. 4-9

Scriptural meditations of the day from the Thelemic canon, with primary emphasis on Liber LXV, Liber VII, and Liber CCXX. (Meditations with no responses after 2 days will be deleted - we want to encourage ACTIVE DISCUSSION.)

Moderator: Moderators - Public

January 13 (Heru-Ra-Ha) Liber L., Cap. III, v. 4-9

Postby GabrielO » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:34 am

4. Choose ye an island!
5. Fortify it!
6. Dung it about with enginery of war!
7. I will give you a war-engine.
8. With it ye shall smite the peoples; and none shall stand before you.
9. Lurk! Withdraw! Upon them! this is the Law of the Battle of Conquest: thus shall my worship be about my secret house.
GabrielO
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:31 pm

Re: January 13 (Heru-Ra-Ha) Liber L., Cap. III, v. 4-9

Postby GabrielO » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:08 am

Playing a little catchup from some sparse notes and thoughts...

Heru-Ra-Ha wrote:4. Choose ye an island!

The first operative word is to choose. My read is something like - make a choice, guided by will, to establish your own sovereignty. An island has connotations of being its own self contained land with its own rule of law. So, make a choice, take a stand.
Heru-Ra-Ha wrote:5. Fortify it!

This seems simple enough in theory. After establishing your domain, through will, strengthen it against anything that would violate your will. The means of fortifying are diverse for certain whether through magical or mystical means or otherwise.
Heru-Ra-Ha wrote:6. Dung it about with enginery of war!
7. I will give you a war-engine.

Verse 6 strikes me as a strange (a common theme for many verses in this chapter for me). What is this "dunging" about? Some initial thoughts of beetles have crossed my mind, but what has stuck with me is the idea that the Qlippoth are the shells and excrement of our old forms. Our old forms, trash so to speak, are used as fuel for an engine of war. This begs the question of the nature of this engine and what is meant by war. My thoughts currently are that the engine is the divine human composition, whether individual or assembled in some type of group, that uses all available resources to attain to our individual and collective Will.
Heru-Ra-Ha wrote:8. With it ye shall smite the peoples; and none shall stand before you.
9. Lurk! Withdraw! Upon them! this is the Law of the Battle of Conquest: thus shall my worship be about my secret house.

Thus, this engine wages warfare on all things not in line with the Will of the universe herein symbolized as the speaker of the chapter. I take this as being a natural side effect of the previous choice to establish a firm footing, fortifying it, and fueling it. However, in verse in 9 there is some tact in this as well. The urging seems to be to seek out this warfare actively and with strategy. In doing so Heru-Ra-Ha's worship will be about It's secret house. This last part I don't have sorted in the least
GabrielO
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:31 pm

Re: January 13 (Heru-Ra-Ha) Liber L., Cap. III, v. 4-9

Postby Frater_Heremus » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:45 am

GabrielO wrote:Playing a little catchup from some sparse notes and thoughts...

Heru-Ra-Ha wrote:4. Choose ye an island!

The first operative word is to choose. My read is something like - make a choice, guided by will, to establish your own sovereignty. An island has connotations of being its own self contained land with its own rule of law. So, make a choice, take a stand.
Heru-Ra-Ha wrote:5. Fortify it!

This seems simple enough in theory. After establishing your domain, through will, strengthen it against anything that would violate your will. The means of fortifying are diverse for certain whether through magical or mystical means or otherwise.
Heru-Ra-Ha wrote:6. Dung it about with enginery of war!
7. I will give you a war-engine.

Verse 6 strikes me as a strange (a common theme for many verses in this chapter for me). What is this "dunging" about? Some initial thoughts of beetles have crossed my mind, but what has stuck with me is the idea that the Qlippoth are the shells and excrement of our old forms. Our old forms, trash so to speak, are used as fuel for an engine of war. This begs the question of the nature of this engine and what is meant by war. My thoughts currently are that the engine is the divine human composition, whether individual or assembled in some type of group, that uses all available resources to attain to our individual and collective Will.
Heru-Ra-Ha wrote:8. With it ye shall smite the peoples; and none shall stand before you.
9. Lurk! Withdraw! Upon them! this is the Law of the Battle of Conquest: thus shall my worship be about my secret house.

Thus, this engine wages warfare on all things not in line with the Will of the universe herein symbolized as the speaker of the chapter. I take this as being a natural side effect of the previous choice to establish a firm footing, fortifying it, and fueling it. However, in verse in 9 there is some tact in this as well. The urging seems to be to seek out this warfare actively and with strategy. In doing so Heru-Ra-Ha's worship will be about It's secret house. This last part I don't have sorted in the least



I assume "Dung" would mean to fertilize the ground with the weapons of war. To place weapons in strategic locations throughout the Island. This could be interpreted as fortifying the body both physically and spiritually so the will is left unhindered to move in its appointed direction??
If Thought then be that which troubles the soul, there is but one path to take. Stop thinking.
Frater_Heremus
Forum Neophyte
Forum Neophyte
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:31 pm

Re: January 13 (Heru-Ra-Ha) Liber L., Cap. III, v. 4-9

Postby Takamba » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:56 am

Yes, dung means manure, and "to dung" is to provide manure for. It's not an unusual (nary unique) word usage.
"If we are to have Beauty and Love, whether in begetting children or works of art, or what not, we must have perfect freedom to act, without fear or shame or any falsity."
User avatar
Takamba
Nothing
Nothing
 
Posts: 1327
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:19 pm


Return to Meditation of the Day - Thelemic Tefilah

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests