04/30/17 - (Earth) Liber LXV, Cap. I, v. 47-49

Scriptural meditations of the day from the Thelemic canon, with primary emphasis on Liber LXV, Liber VII, and Liber CCXX. (Meditations with no responses after 2 days will be deleted - we want to encourage ACTIVE DISCUSSION.)

Moderator: Moderators - Public

04/30/17 - (Earth) Liber LXV, Cap. I, v. 47-49

Postby danica » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:48 pm

Liber LXV, Cap. I, v. 47-49

47. There was a maiden that strayed among the corn, and sighed; then grew a new birth, a narcissus, and therein she forgot her sighing and her loneliness.
48. Even instantly rode Hades heavily upon her, and ravished her away.
49. (Then the scribe knew the narcissus in his heart; but because it came not to his lips, therefore was he shamed and spake no more.)
"Write, & find ecstasy in writing! Work, & be our bed in working! Thrill with the joy of life & death! Ah! thy death shall be lovely: whoso seeth it shall be glad. Thy death shall be the seal of the promise of our age long love. Come! lift up thine heart & rejoice! We are one; we are none."
danica
Nothing
Nothing

Re: 04/30/17 - (Earth) Liber LXV, Cap. I, v. 47-49

Postby Anchorite » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:49 am

Apologies for my absence.
My girlfriend is being drawn to the Persephone myth at the moment.
I see it as 'I am Life, and the giver of Life, yet therefore is the knowledge of me the knowledge of death' - The awareness of opposites united.
Anchorite
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danica » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:43 pm

The appearance of narcissus is important, a turning point for the maiden (the Nephesh) - it draws her attention from the corn (the corns are fruit, the results, and such that feed the physical life) - and as soon as she does this, Hades appears i.e. our Nephesh is snatched and drawn in, from the Star-essence in the depths of our being.

The scribe (Ruach) was humbled and brought to Silence by being made aware of the importance of Beauty (narcissus as flower; there is no result to look for here, no personal gain or benefit) through this metaphor, recognizing how essential it is for his own existence, and at the same time realizing how his words did not express this but expressed a want for a "reward" (the corn).
"Write, & find ecstasy in writing! Work, & be our bed in working! Thrill with the joy of life & death! Ah! thy death shall be lovely: whoso seeth it shall be glad. Thy death shall be the seal of the promise of our age long love. Come! lift up thine heart & rejoice! We are one; we are none."
danica
Nothing
Nothing

Postby Anchorite » Mon May 01, 2017 12:32 pm

That's fascinating Danica. Thanks.
Anchorite
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danica » Mon May 01, 2017 1:55 pm

Anchorite wrote:That's fascinating Danica. Thanks.

I was surprised myself to come to some sort of understanding of these particular verses. I almost gave up - started to write here that I find the verses hard to understand (now, the same as before, whenever I read them), but my attention kept being locked into the words, and this brought insight into the symbolism of narcissus.
danica
Nothing
Nothing

Return to Meditation of the Day - Thelemic Tefilah