Sigil Magick - effects exceeding intentions?

Q&A and discussion on ceremonial magick

Moderator: Moderators - Public

Sigil Magick - effects exceeding intentions?

Postby Victor » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:36 pm

This might seem like a perfectly silly question, but we're reaching deep into the "what if"-drawer today.

I am looking to enter into a university program and am pondering various ways of avoiding racking up too much debt during my studies. I'll look around for scholarships, but I also thought that I might try out a sigil (either to influence the likelihood of being granted a scholarship, or getting money from some other source).

I have no previous experience with sigils nor much of other occult work besides reading about it and meditating. I just thought I'd do it as an experiment, and for fun.

But then I started thinking: What if I tried to magick myself some money, and then one of my parents died, thus leaving me with an inheritance? Needless to say, this could take you to a very dark place.

What are your thoughts?
Victor
Forum Neophyte
Forum Neophyte

Re: Sigil Magick - effects exceeding intentions?

Postby Takamba » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:43 pm

Exactly.
"If we are to have Beauty and Love, whether in begetting children or works of art, or what not, we must have perfect freedom to act, without fear or shame or any falsity."
Takamba
Nothing
Nothing

Postby Victor » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:43 pm

Exactly what?
Victor
Forum Neophyte
Forum Neophyte

Postby Avshalom Binyamin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:33 am

He's validating your concerns. Yes, you can have unintended consequences with magick and yes, it could take you to a dark place.
Every man and every woman is a star.
Avshalom Binyamin
Nothing
Nothing

Postby Victor » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:42 am

Ah, got it.

But the question is then: Isn't this a risk that would be present in any experiment you make? Or is the solution then to narrow down the possibilities of the operation? i.e. instead of vaguely attempting to get money in general, attempting to get money from this particular source, in those particular ways, and so on?
Victor
Forum Neophyte
Forum Neophyte

Postby Gnosomai Emauton » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:31 am

Alternately, get yourself good with the fact that trying to change the universe will, in fact, change the universe. The money's gotta come from somewhere, whether from a dead parent or a scholarship fund that chooses you over some other worthy candidate or any number of other sources. Every +1 has a -1.

How strong are you in your desire? How important is the result to you? How willing are you to accept the consequences?
Go in all ways contrary to the world.
Gnosomai Emauton
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire
Ultimate Spark of the Intimate Fire

Postby danica » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:55 pm

Donald Kraig in his Modern Magick recommends consulting divination before any such undertaking. Check out this book, I think you may find it useful.
"Write, & find ecstasy in writing! Work, & be our bed in working! Thrill with the joy of life & death! Ah! thy death shall be lovely: whoso seeth it shall be glad. Thy death shall be the seal of the promise of our age long love. Come! lift up thine heart & rejoice! We are one; we are none."
danica
Nothing
Nothing

Postby Victor » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:58 pm

I have that book, but I found it to be pandering and dreadfully boring. Maybe I'll give it another chance eventually. Divination is a good idea though.
Victor
Forum Neophyte
Forum Neophyte

Postby Takamba » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:33 am

Check the ego first. Any magick that doesn't serve your Will will end in any number of those types of calamities you describe (and then instead, those calamities arrive to serve your Will when your magick couldn't).

Look up in the sky! It's a bird, it's a plane? NO! It's superconsciousness!

Over and out.
"If we are to have Beauty and Love, whether in begetting children or works of art, or what not, we must have perfect freedom to act, without fear or shame or any falsity."
Takamba
Nothing
Nothing

Return to Magick